Friday 4 December 2009

My Little Piggies Went To The Market

The night market in Siem Reap is a wonderful experience at dusk as the stalls are lit by streams of fairy lights draped from the walls and ceilings. There was only one way to fully immerse myself in this event and that was to opt for a thirty minute foot massage in the shelter of a small hut, complete with the snaking sliver of incense smoke escaping from the room. For $3, this was great value, especially for anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing my Frodo-esque feet (though perfectly pedicured, it has been mentioned by some folk in the past). Through clicks, twists and knuckles popped, I endured pain, much laughter and soothing palms, all in equal measure.

Feet: Pampered

Under the euphoria of this experience, I hazily meandered down the maze like market. Disillusioned and light headed, I opened my wallet and acquired new Ray Ban's (I look more Ray Meagher than Ray Charles) and multiple hand woven bracelets (for those who had a bet on as to how soon I'd fold and decorate my wrists - it only took me two weeks).

The following day I had another bus to catch for a return trip back to the capital. Looking at my watch as I sat waiting at the Mandalay Inn reception for my moto ride to the station, I soon felt that I had been forgotten about. With ten minutes until departure and a few quick and urgent phone calls later by the concierge, it was official. I had been forgotten about. The next bus was a mere three hours later, and so the staff at the Guest House sprung into action and lurched forward their personal motorbike whilst I sheepishly clambered on the back seat.
The driver had to hit breakneck speeds (for Cambodia this is around 10km/hour) to ensure I got to the station on time. The worrying aspect of this was that the driver had a helmet on and I didn't. What was that about? Surely we should either both wear helmets or neither of us. You can't just opt to save one person and not the other. I also wasn't sure as to the protocol with where to put my hands. Around the driver's waist? I've seen girls do that, but do guys? I chose to hang my left hand on his shoulder as a compromise. It all felt a little weird for both of us by the time I clambered on board the delayed bus.

Being a passenger is not empowering

The past couple of days I've been enjoying the laid back lifestyle accompanied by my hostel by Boeung Kak Lake. The room that I have is behind the communal toilets and so I have the pleasure of awaking from the bliss of sleep by the sudden odour of early morning users of the loos. It's no rooster call, that's for sure. However, as the hostel sits by the Lake, I enjoyed a painfully hungover evening watching the sunset, whilst darting bats skimmed the water at a concerning proximity from my hammock. I got a little bit scared and decided to retire to the 'movie room' where I had to endure an hour and a half of 'The Surrogates' - another Bruce Willis inspired disaster. This man seriously needs to re-think his vocation.

Today drew to a close with a rather dull boat ride over the Tonle Sap and Mekong Rivers. The setting should have been perfect with the sun's amber embers residing for the day and the city lights sparkling by the riverside. However, the thick smog drowned the final stages of the setting sun and the rickety boat, complete with bright orange plastic seating, merely went round in a large and unambitious circle and retreated back to the dock.

Tomorrow sees a trip down to the seaside town of Sihanoukville. According to the official website of the the beach resort "Sihanoukville is a town in Cambodia. People live there. It is fun!"
Factual and to the point, I think I may like it there.

Phnom Penh Song of the Day: Spin Doctors - Two Princes
Came belting out a bar in Boeung Kak, called Magic Sponge, or something, whilst a few of us were playing Jenga. I won. I never win.

i-Pod Song of the Day: Biffy Clyro - Bubbles
Cracking song from their new album 'Only Revolutions' featuring Josh Homme from Queens Of The Stone Age on guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment